Haskell is in line to win his 63rd cap on Saturday and starts in the back row alongside Chris Robshaw and Billy Vunipola. Meanwhile Launchbury is named alongside George Kruis in the second row and should earn his 29th cap.
Wasps' centre Elliot Daly will also travel with the team to Edinburgh as injury cover.
Eddie Jones has named an experienced starting 15 for England’s RBS 6 Nations opener against Scotland at Murrayfield (kick-off 4.50pm, live on BBC 1).
England captain Dylan Hartley will lead out a side with a total of 512 international caps between them as they aim to retain the Calcutta Cup, a trophy they have held since 2008.
Debutants Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Paul Hill (Northampton Saints) and Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby) are named as replacements. Elsewhere George Ford (Bath Rugby) starts at fly half with Danny Care (Harlequins) at scrum half. Saracens’ Owen Farrell wears the number 12 shirt.
Harlequins’ Chris Robshaw starts at blind-side flanker, James Haskell (Wasps) is installed at open-side with Billy Vunipola at No 8.
England head coach Eddie Jones said:
“There were some tight calls on selection, but we have picked a match-day squad with a blend of experience and youth.
“The boys have worked hard since coming into camp to understand how I want the team to play going forward. We have prepared well and I am pleased with the progress the group has made in the short time we’ve had together.
“We are indebted to the work Stuart Lancaster has done over last four years. I have inherited a talented and highly motivated group of players.
“We are confident we can go to Edinburgh and win, but we’re in no doubt it will be a huge challenge. Playing at Murrayfield in front of a passionate Scottish crowd will be a real test for this team but one I know we can rise to.
“We have named three vice captains in Owen Farrell, Billy Vunipola and Mike Brown who will support Dylan Hartley with his leadership responsibilities.”
England match-day 23 to face Scotland
15. Mike Brown (vice captain, Harlequins, 43 caps)
14. Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 15 caps)
13. Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 16 caps)
12. Owen Farrell (vice captain, Saracens, 35 caps)
11. Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 10 caps)
10. George Ford (Bath Rugby, 17 caps)
9. Danny Care (Harlequins, 53 caps)
1. Joe Marler (Harlequins, 37 caps)
2. Dylan Hartley (captain, Northampton Saints, 66 caps)
3. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 56 caps)
4. Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 28 caps)
5. George Kruis (Saracens, 10 caps)
6. Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, 43 caps)
7. James Haskell (Wasps, 62 caps)
8. Billy Vunipola (vice captain, Saracens, 21 caps)
16. Jamie George (Saracens, 3 caps)
17. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 27 caps)
18. Paul Hill (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
19. Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 42 caps)
20. Jack Clifford (Harlequins, uncapped)
21. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 52 caps)
22. Alex Goode (Saracens, 19 caps)
23. Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby, uncapped)